Retirement Income Reality Check
Published Friday, November 22, 2019 at: 7:00 AM EST
With stocks closing today near an all-time record high, a good chance of an increase in Federal tax rates in 2021, and the deadline for end-of-year tax tactics closing in, this is a reminder to run a reality check on your retirement income plan.
The $1 trillion federal deficit, the soaring U.S. debt level to pay for entitlement, and changing political fortunes make it much more likely that income taxes will head higher.
Managing your tax bracket now — with the growing likelihood of a hike in federal income tax brackets — can lower your tax bill not just this year but next year, as well. This is especially timely for business owners with an interest in a pass-through entity, like an LLC, S corp, or a sole proprietorship.
The possibility of higher tax rates, along with the stock market's recent highs, presents an opportunity for individuals with a concentrated position in a single stock. With the end of the year approaching, this is a good time to consider taking a long-term taxable gain to lower your risk of something going wrong with that company or industry.
The Standard & Poor's 500, after closing at a record high on Monday of 3,122.03, closed the week at 3,110.29.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist based on data compiled and analyzed by independent economist, Fritz Meyer. While these are sources we believe to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial or tax advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation. Tax laws are subject to change. Indices are unmanaged and not available for direct investment. Investments with higher return potential carry greater risk for loss. No one can predict the future of the stock market or any investment, and past performance is never a guarantee of your future results.
- Ending Inflation Will Take Months
- Economists Predict Lackluster 4Q22 Growth; Fed Algorithm Predicts 4.3%
- Amid Darkening News, Positive Economic Signs
- Stocks Soared This Past Week But Economic Pain Is Still Ahead
- Factors Blurring The Likelihood Of A Recession
- Weekly Investor Update
- Stocks Rose 4.7% This Past Week, Amid A Bear Market
- 105 Years Ago In Investing: Conditions Were Much The Same As Today
- A Timely Reminder Of Why You Take Stock Risk
- Good And Bad Financial News: Weekly Investment Update
- A Financial And Tax Planning Strategy For This Week's Stock Market Plunge
- Having Trouble Tuning Out The Bad Financial Economic News?
- A Key Signal Of Strength At A Pivotal Moment In Economic History
- Despite Strong Jobs Report, Stocks Declined Last Week
- The Fed Risks A Recession To End Inflation, As Expected
- Stocks Snap Four-Week Win Streak
- Stocks Have Soared Lately, But What Should You Expect Near And Long-Term?
- Investing In An Economy Beset By Multiple Anomalies
- Despite Bad Economic News, Stocks Rose 4% In The Week Ended July 29, 2022
- Amid Bad Data Releases, Leading Economists Predict No Recession
- Good News: Real Retail Sales Dropped Fractionally In The Past Year
- Financial Economic News Analysis
- The Good News Is All This Bad News
- Four Signs A Recession Could Be Short And Shallow